Bird of Paradise Plant

If you have been with me for awhile, you may remember this image from last February. It was from a post that I called “It’s NOT Growing,” to gently poke fun at all those internet videos of every leaf unfurling.

I had said that I had no expectation of my plants growing in winter in very little sunlight in my cold home but that I was quite convinced that once the warm weather came and the sunlight returned, the plant would grow nicely and that the very tightly curled leaf–which had been in that suspended state of animation for 3 months–would unfurl.

So here’s the plant after its summer outside. Obviously more than one of those leaves unfurled. I needed to put it into a larger pot.

The Spoiler keeps remarking about how much he likes it–which alone is astonishing because he rarely comments on the house plants.

I have told him that by next summer I won’t be able to bring it back in–it will be a floor plant, probably touching the ceiling at that point.

And there’s where we may have a problem. Clearly there’s something delicious in my soil that the dog likes. I will need to find a solution for that. At least I know that it’s all organic–unless something has crawled in there that is tasty. Ick.

11 thoughts on “Bird of Paradise Plant

1. tonytomeo October 31, 2022 / 1:33 pm

Is that Strelitzia nicolai or Strelitzia reginae? Strelitzia reginae is likely more common, but the big leaves look more like those of Strelitzia nicolai.

• gardendaze November 1, 2022 / 10:27 am

Well, you nailed it–it is Strelitizia reginae according to the vendor. Nice job!

• tonytomeo November 1, 2022 / 12:19 pm

It generates prettier bloom, and is more likely to bloom as it matures.

• gardendaze November 1, 2022 / 12:22 pm

I think I will be lucky to see a bloom here in the frozen north–but I am glad to hear it!

• tonytomeo November 1, 2022 / 12:35 pm

Well, . . . I was avoiding saying that; and technically, they can eventually bloom if they get big enough as houseplants, and get enough sunlight. They bloom while young here, but that is because they are outside. Regardless, the foliage is as appealing as the bloom. If the timing had been better, I should have sent you some seedlings from Strelitzia nicolai. I canned them already, and unfortunately, some are not surviving. Their bloom is more interesting than pretty, but the foliage is quite big and bold.

• gardendaze November 1, 2022 / 1:13 pm

You didn’t have to say that–I knew. But thank you. And thank you for the thought of an offer of seeds. Perhaps some other time the timing will be better. Or perhaps, someday when I move to a place where I and my house plants like the weather better….

• tonytomeo November 1, 2022 / 4:11 pm

They were seedlings that grew from seed that no one noticed. I was surprised, since I had believed that viable seed was rare outside of the native range and away from whatever the preferred pollinator is. They grew under the mature specimen at the Jungalow.
        jungalow/https://tonytomeo.com/2022/10/08/six-on-saturday-l-a-ii/

2. gardendaze October 31, 2022 / 1:52 pm

Hmm, well. I researched where I bought the plant and unfortunately I am still not as enlightened as you are. I got it online and sent a message to the seller (who, I just realized uses NO botanic names on its web site. Good grief!) Perhaps I will be able to report back at some point in the future.

3. lisatheardentgardener October 31, 2022 / 6:39 pm

It’s looking lovely! I love the Bird of Paradise for bringing that tropical look to the house. Is yours the white or the orange variety? I had an orange one (Strelitzia reginae) in with my houseplants for awhile, and it did bloom, but I moved it outdoors for summer. The leaves weren’t as wide and luscious as yours. -lisa

4. gardendaze November 1, 2022 / 8:45 am

Hi Lisa,
    I don’t know the color–it hasn’t bloomed. Isn’t it scary that I know neither the variety not the color? However, I am quite happy with its progress from last winter to this fall. I too put mine outside. Thats’s how I get such fabulous growth on my houseplants (that’s really the only way–I am such a lazy gardener that I don’t fertilize and I only repot when I move them outside–so what do I expect, really?

Anyway, I purchased it just for the “fabulous foliage” and I am thrilled with the result!