Wordless Wednesday–Autumn Color

Dogwood berries (fruits?) ripening. Soon migrating birds will come and strip these all off the tree before heading south.

flowers going to seed

Black-eyed susans, going to seed. Goldfinch love the seedheads these produce.

Early fall color

Early fall color on a weeping cherry.

ripening crab apples

Ripening crab apples. Unlike the dogwood berries, these are “persistent” and will remain on the tree, probably most of the way into winter, unless it’s a tough year. Then, in early spring, the migratory robins will devour them.

6 thoughts on “Wordless Wednesday–Autumn Color

1. pbmgarden August 28, 2013 / 9:44 am

Nice shot of the colorful rainbow of leaves on the weeping cherry. Dogwoods here are also getting some fall color and berries.

2. gardendaze August 28, 2013 / 9:55 am

Thank you! Autumn really is the most lovely season here–but of course for the gardener it’s so bittersweet. We’ve had extraordinarily cool evenings since July–my roses are having that “late season” flush that they normally would get in September already. But this week and perhaps next they say we’ll be abnormally warm so it’s nice to see a bit of summer returning.

3. Ruben Chavez August 30, 2013 / 4:01 am

Such beautiful pictures? I’m jealous of the crab apples you have, I’m in AZ!

• gardendaze August 30, 2013 / 8:20 am

Thank you, Ruben. You have so many lovely things in your part of the country though and climate isn’t the least of them! I’m envious of all the warm weather things you can grow that I grow in 4″ pots as “tropicals” in my home. I guess that’s known as “the grass is always greener” syndrome. Fortunately we can always visit other parts of the country–you can come to New England at Fall Foliage time–and I can visit Arizona, but not during the summer!

Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

4. Mominthegarden September 1, 2013 / 4:41 am

oh no! Fall colors already?! I know it is coming, I can feel it in the air here, too, in Ireland. But can’t really see it just yet!

• gardendaze September 1, 2013 / 10:16 am

I know just how you feel–I feel just the same! It’s been unseasonably cool here in the evening since late July which is what I think triggered all of this. But this weekend is “traditional” summer: hazy, hot and humid with thunderstorms so even though it’s considered the “end” of summer it sure doesn’t feel over–and the gardens are loving the rain.

Thanks for reading and commenting!